Sunday, August 10, 2008

A lot bad stuff is going on in this world

I am a pretty avid reader of both national and international news. Over the past few month, certain events seem to have either escalated or appear to be getting more "hits" in the news recently. Some I can just ponder and move on because I am not directly touched by the impact of the event being covered in the news. That is not to say that I lack empathy or simply do not care, its just that I have not personally seen or felt a direct impact.


It seems that more recent events have the potential to impact on me, my family and my friends. I am reading with increasing frequency that there potential plans to attack Iran, may be alone or in concert with Israel. Do we really need another war? We certainly didn't get any extra gas or decreased gasoline prices out of the on-going war. Does our government think that we will be any safer or gas-richer by attacking Iran? Seems to me it might open the tidal gates to increased terrorist blow-back on our soil.


We still have crazies running around the world, maybe even here, that want to do us some serious damage. We haven't even identified all the remains of the 9/11victims. The 9/11 planners are still running loose while we take our shoes off and carry mini bottles of shampoo at our airports


There are still folks around who will never return to their homes in New Orleans because there were ineffective plans to evacuate even with DAYS advance notice. Just how long can YOU survive without clean water to drink and food in your belly?


Several banks have gone bust because of their poor lending choices and, oh joy, the tax-payer is going to have the honor of bailing them out so they can continue their fraudulent bank decisions. (Have we learned nothing from the Great Depression?). Hmm, I can feel the cold steely hand of the IRS reaching for my wallet already. More taxes = less disposable income = less $$$ for groceries = less people shopping = less need for employees = employees without jobs'


A number of businesses are either closing or scaling back their operations - Home Depot, The Gap, and what does that mean to you and me? Loss of jobs, increased prices at the grocery store, and on and on. I bet you know someone who has either recently lost a job or works for a business which is in the process of scaling down.


Speaking of grocery stores, aren't you just a little bit more than bothered by contaminated vegetables? It doesn't really make a difference whether it was tomatoes or peppers...the food we eat is becoming highly risky because we don't know who touched it, where it came from, and what is was grown in. And have you noticed that bagged "ready to eat" salad think stinks when you open the bag? Hey, its been trucked in 1500 miles to be ready to eat just for you; all you gotta do is toss on some salad dressing.


So you ask: "Where is she going will all this doom and gloom?" Simply this, it has made me think. How is this going impact on me? What if something disasterous happens and I and my loved ones can't get to a store quick enough to stock up on supplies like food and water?


Well, this is where my journey begins. I am going to detail my plans and actions to make myself more prepared for what ever the future holds.

My first step is to identify some of the potential events that could hinder my comfort zones: water, food, shelter, and safety.



I will be getting back to you on some possible scenarios that could cause me to take precautions and then I will outline what my priorities for each would be.



Would love to have tons of feedback and suggestions

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Liked your posts - Keep up the good work - Could not help notice your favorite books - You might also like:
"Malevil"
"Pheonix Island"
"Fire & Ice"

riverwalker said...

There's so much going on right now it's a little hard to keep track of things. Nice posts! Keep 'em coming!

Riverwalker

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your post. I'm retired Air Force living in a state that is down south and starts with "G". I was intel analyst and collector for 15 or so years and then spent 8 doing Disaster Preparedness, Plans, Emergency Destruction and stuff like that. Have preached to the choir for years but not many people listen these days, they are too busy trying to make the mortgage to even think about copy canning or bug in bags (I'm not going anywhere, I'll stand and defend the family and the home place to my last drop of blood and my last bit of munitions), but hopefully we'll sit here at home, eating well, staying warm and taking care of business.
On the books, I just finished Lucifers Hammer and can't believe how much of that book has been stolen as key points in other survival books that I've read over the years.
Keep doing what you are doing and keep sharing, I'll keep reading.
Cliff