Sunday, October 5, 2008

Me thinks time is running short

I know that I have not had much in the way of blogging.  Forgive me, but I have been hard at work with my prepping. 

Have dehydrated celery, red and green peppers.  I also canned a bunch of hamburger meat.  The meat will provide variety to my food storage.  

I feel like I came to the prepping point a day late and several dollars short.  I have managed to get way past the six month mark.  That was a feat in itself.  

I have willingly taken some hits in my personal here and now life too.  I down graded my cell phone plan from top of the line with all the dazzling options and nearly a $100 month fees.  Sold that fancy dancy LG Voyager for $207.96!!!!  That is amazing, since identical phones went for around $120.  Don’t know what I was thinking when I bought the darn thing, it’s not like I needed the internet, texting and TV reception.  Oh, well, I look at it like this; I had the opportunity to get smart, sold it, and have something a lot more reasonable. 

More water has been stored too.  Will be getting the Waterbob thing for the guest bedroom next week.  The “bob” will plus up my water storage with an additional 100 gallons. 

I sense a lot of tension in the writings of fellow bloggers  - most feel that next week will be a turning point and perhaps validate what prepping has been all about.  There does seem to be changes in the way people are shopping too.  Although there haven’t been any food shortages in the stores I frequent, I have noticed a lot more purchases of staples.  Not sure if its people realizing that frozen fast food meals are expensive or if there is a teeny bit of prepping going on. 

I am still not happy with security plans for the house.  Too many angles, too many windows.  For personal reasons, there is no way that we will be bugging out to a different location.  For us, it will be shelter in place.   I fully expect problems from those who have always have had things handed to them to come looking for handouts and the ones who will be happy to take by force.  

We now have spinach, broccoli and lettuce growing in the unused bedroom.   Wow, the stuff grows fast.  I need some operations security on that…..don’t need the deputy sheriffs thinking there is some illegal stuff growing.

Have taking the advice and guidance everyone has been posting.  Thank you for your support.

Any thoughts on water filtration?  I am interested both in-house on the faucet kind and the emergency kind if on the run.  I know how to build one with sand and charcoal, but I am looking to quick fixes to my preparations.

 

 

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.rei.com/product/664264

Katadyn Gravidyn Drip Water Filter

Its one of the best out there. Of course its more for home use. For portable purification I like the SteriPEN for that. Its a portable UV water purification system that fits in your palm. You'll have to google that one. Its spelled correctly.

Good luck to you.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Opps.. On the SteriPEN there are a bunch out there. Look for the one that runs on 4 AA batteries.

Using a common battery type makes a great deal of difference in stocking and storing. Look for rechargables. I highly recommend the GE/Sanyo eneloop NiMH rechargable. They don't bleed energy like most rechargable. I would also recommend a good solar recharger for those AA batteries.

I have these feeling that the power grid will be less than reliable here within a few months.

Chris

Anonymous said...

lots of holes in my water preps as well. have seen reverse osmosis filters recomended more than twice. you will need some kind of pump to maintain water pressure, in order for these to work.(new clean garden sprayer, for example)(they make one for lifeboat use, that can make seawater drinkable)

the "big berkey" is recomended all the time, plus a home made version. imported unglazed clay flower pots are also said to work; an expedient ceramic filter.

probably can't go wrong with any katadyn product, but you'll need bleach and/or iodine solution, or tablets, to work with some of the hiker type filters. yeh, what Chris said, regarding the steri-pen.

you should also get the biggest stock pot you can find, boiling your water, is the most reliable method.
...irishdutchuncle

Hannah said...

Very impressive what you have stored so far! That's so great.

Unknown said...

A great resource for those of your trying to get prepared is www.shelfreliance.com Not only do they sell Food Storage items, but they have recipes, a food storage calculator and a whole library full of great information

Mayberry said...

You're not the only one who was late to the party.... Oh well, better late than never, eh? I'll second the clay pot for a good budget filter, just be careful to inspect it for cracks...

Anonymous said...

they also make a "whole house" version of the steri-pen. it's a glass pipe, with a powerful UV lamp. you'll need reliable/ alternative power to keep it operating, and the bulb needs replacing every now and then. these are discussed a couple of places in "backwoods home" magazine, most of which is available on-line. a great resource.
...irishdutchuncle

Survival Chick said...

Holy crap the cell phone idea is a really good idea, I need to start looking at the little stuff like that.. stuff that adds up.

Preparedwarrior said...

Survival chick: those who have been prepping will be the only ones who will have thought about cell phones. You will be very popular - maybe you can barter your charging power for other consumables. Just a thought.

I am working on some solar stuff too. Some passive and some active. I am having to learn way toooo much stuff that I would rather ignore.

Chris: any ideas on a good solar recharger? I see stuff on the net but I never know which one to trust.

Anonymous said...

I got a firefly foldable solar panel with a 12V DC adapter. Cost roughly $175 and is 12W 800Amp..

I use it to charge GRMS radios, my cell phones, I also have a DC smart charger for AA and AAA batteries.

I purchased it from a company called powerenz right here in georgia. They no longer have it on their site but if you email them and ask for specifically they will hook you up.

If you can afford it I would recommend the 24watt model. Its about $375 but it will charge a great deal more quicker.

All are foldable and completely portable. I originally purchased it to charge my radios on two or three day hiking trips.

Chris