Saturday, September 6, 2008

So Many Reasons to Prepare

Are you keeping track of what is going on in the world? Wow, a large portion of the mortgage industry is quickly going down the tubes. And it looks like you and I, the taxpayers, are going to be bailing out those banks and mortgage companies who enabled people to get loans for which they were not qualified and are now defaulting. Do you really believe the FDIC is going to be able to bail out ALL of these institituions which are going belly up? We are talking about billions and billions of dollars. Future bail outs are going to have to be tax payer funded. Anyone around who remembers the tax payer funded the Resolution Trust Fund of the 1980? I do and my pay check does too.

Higher taxes impacts on every aspect of American society. If you are paying higher taxes, you have less money, less money means that you will have less money to spend in stores. I am not talking about buying luxuries: stay focused. We are talking about the necessities of life--food, heat, shelter. Less profits means employees layoffs.

Any of this sound like a good reason to prepare for hard times ahead? Are you prepared for a layoff? How will you survive if there is no regular pay check coming in?

On to a happier note. Have pretty much taught myself how to use my new pressure canner. Hear tell, the Navy Bean and Bacon Soup was a hit. Had 12 quarts, now down one - for a tasting experiment.

Saw a good recipe for canning butter on another prepper's site. If I can remember where I saw the recipe, I will give credit due. But in fairness, this recipe can be found by doing a quick google search. I pretty much feel that food isn't worth much without being able to sautee in real butter. Will be working this because I also love plain ole butter on bread.

Speaking of bread. I am doing a lot of prepping to make sure that I have sufficient grains in my diet and for my storage plan. I am not really into the kneading bread sort of thing, and had thought to use my bread machine exclusively, if nothing else because of its ease in making bread. As I write, I am expanding my bread making skills by trying a no knead bread. The recipe I am using supposedly is for an artisan-like bread. Will find out sometime tomorrow after what seems to be an extensive rising time. We will see.....looks really tasty from the video. How can I go wrong with four ingredients and no kneading.

I have managed to develop a thirty day menu which is now the basis for my storage preps. I am accumulating meal by meal, and so far are all meals that I would consume anytime regardless of emergency or not.

I have included another scenario in which having stored preparations would come in quite handy and in the end be truly life saving. Here's scenario four.

Scenario four:

The entire world has closely watched as the Far East, then Europe, grappled with the bird flu. Flying in the face of recent scientific predictions, not only was the bird flu rapidly being transmitted from animal to people, but now there have been several positive reports of transmission from person to person. The growing epidemic also carries an extremely high fatality rate. European cities with particularly large populations are being urged to stay at home to avoid contact. Some municipalities have voluntarily self-quarantined their sick and dying citizens. Terrified by the threat of flu contamination, airports have established new rules about who may depart and arrive certain countries. Along with screening for terrorism, now ALL passengers are subjected to rigorous health screening. Today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have issued unprecedented protocols to State and local governments for implementing emergency operations designed to contain and prevent flu transmission. Most States have taken dramatic steps by closing schools, and all government activities have been curtailed. Department of Homeland Security has already commandeered certain buildings to be converted to quarantine facilities. Health care workers and supplies are already beginning to arrive. You have just been contacted by your school’s principal that school will be closed until further notice. Panic starts as parents race to pick up their children from day care and schools. Roads are now gridlocked by shocked and traumatized people wondering when they will get home. Your thoughts turn to getting to the grocery store to stock up on supplies.

For myself, this scenario scares the willies out of me. I am not sure if being stranded and not being able to get home is scarier or if it is the fear of having to come into contact with potentially sick people in trying to lay in supplies. Personally, I think it is only a matter of time in which the America will have to deal with some disease like the bird flu or some other kind of illness.

I know, I know, I am full of doom and gloom. I can deal with bad situations if I am given an opportunity to at least do some preparations for a bad time.

I am thinking about posting some of my meal ideas on this site - a handy way to keep track of them, and they might be useful for someone else too.

Heard that it might be a bad winter for certain states this year. Not sure if Georgia fits into that category but I don't trust the utility company with its natural gas prices and surcharges. Still working on storing up wood.

So many priorities, and so little resources and time.

2 comments:

Staying Alive said...

Hello! Just scored your address from one of my readers. I read one of your posts and found it to be very good. I don't agree with the flu pandemic but one can never tell. It could happen. The Handmaiden put up a large jar of Elderberry Tincture yesterday and it should be Sambucol in a month. SHe will be doing somemore shortly. If you have access to Elderberies you might consider this as part of your medical preps. I also found a site that said that Cayenne pepper is a natural quick clot.

We are busy here and prepping like crazy. We don't know what kind of crap this old world is going to throw at us but we intend to be prepared.

Send me your email addy and I will write to you personally and compare notes. I rpetty much post to my blog every day and sometimes twice.

See you around!

Michel

Anonymous said...

the wood is a good idea, a kerosene heater might be a good back-up to your backup. assure adequate ventilation, regardless. can you drain the pipes, in order to close off part of the house? can your stored water be moved to the warm part of the house, in case a water main breaks, or power is out to the well? i'm not trying to add any extra stress here, but the winter storm really does seem to be a good point to prep around.
...irishdutchuncle