Saturday, September 13, 2008

Some Observations and then Some

On Ike:  Who in the world would ignore severe Hurricaine Warnings and willingly stay behind?  I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone would want to stay holed up in a bar to weather out the hurricaine.  That certainly sounds like crazy talk, but I did see a photo in which the police were evacuating an individual in nearly waist deep water.

Other preppers?  I am following some curious items that may be shaping up to be trends.  Noticed that the old fashioned oil lamps are disappearing off the shelves, along with the globes and mantles. Likewise, canned foods seem to be a bit more popular these days.  Not sure if this related to the economy or like-minded folks putting things aside for the future.  A lot of my patients have been actively canning fruits and vegetables from their gardens.  Several old timers see bleak economic times ahead, and they might just know because they are depression era survivors.  The seniors are quite frank in pondering whether the "new" generation will be able to cope because they lack the surival skills to do so.

Have noticed more and more patients paying for services with cash.  A lot of them say that they either couldn't afford the negotiated employer-insurer dictated co-pays or the premiums have become to high.  But then I noticed women are still doing the tanning bed, nail and pedicure thing, having frequent hair stylings and whatever.  In an emergency, especially a lengthy crisis, how does someone cope without the tanning, waxing, styling and just generally all over maintenance that some people have become accustomed?

I have also noticed that patients are no longer reluctant to have generic medications prescribed.  Indeed, now insist on generics.  Four dollars versus a $25 to $40 co-pay at the pharmacy.  No-brainer!

Have yet to have anyone ask for a prescription for chronic medications or medications for emergency preparedness.

Back to my prepping experiences.

I am close to my second 90 day food storage goal.  Still not happy about the lack of fruit-related vitamins that I need.  Have learned that these are pretty much going to have to be covered with dried fruits and juices.  Have you ever tasted canned orange juice?  Boy,  have we become spoiled.

Thanks to the kind person who gave me the suggestion on the oxygen absorbers.  They are currently in use with flour and corn products, as well other items that stale with exposure to oxygen.

I am a huge sour cream and cheddar cheese fan.  My needs in that area are nearly as strong as my desire for coffee.  I have located a supplier of the first item, and have requested a sample.  I have received my shipment of Red Feather cheddar cheese.  The cheese tastes good, but it is a pale color compared to what I usually eat.  Both of these items are not cheap but are integral to how I want eat and survive.  

Yeah, I KNOW that I am not running a restaurant but I am trying to maintain as much future sanity as possible.  Having a comfortable shelter and decent tasting food are two of my major priorities.  And I am eating as close to my planned storage as possible so I can rotate my supplies.  Prepping for my two dogs is not as easy because the "stale" factor is so closely tied to their foods.  Working on that.

My no knead bread project was a flawless winner. Minimal ingredients of water, flour, instant yeast and salt.  Wow, like eating high-end chi chi bread!  Absolutely effortless.  Mixing means literally stiring the ingredients!  This is a keeper for my preparations storage.

The Sundaysaver website is still the basis for shopping.  I have worked the By one Get One until all of my staples of canned goods are completed for six months.  Am continuing with Kroger 10 for $10.  Walmart still has the best deals on ethnic foods such as canned diced green chilies.  Have noticed, tho, that these chilies are being bought in serious bulk by someone.  Harder and harder to be able to buy more than a couple at a time.  These chilies are necessary for Mexican spoonbread.

My favorite coffee jumped by $3 a can, but went back to original price after a month.  I have over nine months of coffee and creamer.  Similarly, I am still waiting for Ingles to do its major toilet paper sale.  I have at least 130 rolls stored.  Nah, I have always stored T paper.

Working to prep on personal and hygiene items.  Have found that Crest sells a tooth paste gel that comes in a hard plastic squeeze container that will work for storage if anyone is interested.  I am thinking I will be able to get three months from each container just for myself.  Great tasting too.

I am curious.  Any body out there who has a spouse or significant other who is less-than-interested in prepping for the long haul?  I am imagine this could be touchy subject.  How does anyone handle this sort of problem.  

I was helping a college student get all of her admission paperwork together, including annotating her immunization record.  It dawned on me that my Tetnus vax is waaaay out of date, in fact I am not sure when I had the last one.  Gave myself a pneumonia shot, and will be getting my flu shot next week - trying to determine the optimal time frame.  Not so sure now because the CDC announced that the flu is already showing up in Georgia.  I haven't seen a case of it but that doesn't mean much.  Thinking that some people might want to check their shot records too.

I read the Home Secretary in the United Kingdom (equivalent to Homeland Security) has just warned community law enforcement to be prepared for imminent anarchy because of the worsening unemployment, social upheaval with regard to immigration, and a variety of other social problems.  Hmmm. 

So much to do, and so little time.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a wife who is somewhat hesitant. We have always been prepared for short term emergencies with food, weapons, and medical needs for a mont or two. She is on board with that. However, the more dire situations like long term economic depression, collapse, or even a post EMP existance is not something she seems to want to buy into.

The world is a crazy place lately. And I know deep down she is concerned about those realities but it seems to suit her more to pretend its not happening. So we have started to expand our food stocks and add the ability to grow, store, can, dehydrate, etc food stuffs. Although, its a constant battle with her trying to afford to do so when whe refuses to give up the hair salon visits and the starbucks coffee.

But I have made some progress with her. Even she seems to realize the economy is hitting some very rough times. Many of her friends are already facing serious challenges due to layoffs and rising insurance premiums. I think fannie and freddie getting nationalized was the turning point for her.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great post. Very enjoyable and informative. I do have a wife that is really not interested in prepping. Probably my own fault because I have always taken care of all that, and have always made sure the larder and checkbook were full. Things have recently changed and she's is starting to realize that it might all be on her in the near future so she is paying a lot more attention now. She'll still get her nails and hair done and my daughter will still do her tanning but they are copy canning and not giving me crap about the waterbed mattress that is full of treated water in the basement.
I was over at the hospital on Thursday going through pre-op and was talking about the hurricane with the nice lady doing my paperwork. She said she couldn't afford to put anything up so I talked to her about copy canning (if you need one can of something, buy 2, use one and put one aside, keep doing it and it's a painless way to stock up). I talked with the nurses at the various stations about flu and avian flu and stuff and they were surprisingly up on the situation. That's a kudo to the Wellstar medical system.
I apologize for derailing your last post with war stories, it is like when you really enjoy talking about something and then you never get to do it and you find a like minded person and it's difficult not to just go on and on and on, so again, sorry about that.
I'll be absent for a week or so but will read up when I get back from the hospital. For some reason they said I wasn't allowed to bring the laptop.
Best of luck to you and yours from me, my wife, my grown daughter and our 2 dogs (a couple of ankle nippers).
Take care,
Cliff in Douglasville

Preparedwarrior said...

Chris: My family shares my concerns about the future. My opinion on what the future holds is based on the knowledge that the U.S. can't continue down the path it is going. At least not for long. There is a huge economic and social divide in this country, and I don't mean that in a liberal pity-party way. We have a large population that is content to live off the taxpayers' dime and make absolutely no contribution to society. That population segment causes me the greatest worry.

I can't relocate to find a safer place to live in the event of any kind of disaster. It simply isn't going to happen.

I see a lot of things coming to a huge culmination. Our economy is on life support, the taxpayer can't continue to pay for the bums AND pay for the banking/mortgage failures that will be underfunded by the FDIC. Big business like the auto industry thinks it is going to get its share of the pie now too.

I haven't forgotten the War on Terrorism, or the Avian Flu, or the possibility of civil unrest. We have a lot of external enemies as well as our internal ones. Just look at what the RNC Welcoming Committee had planned to execute at the recent RNC convention.

I feel like the ones in the know have a lot to shoulder in preparing for the times ahead. Sometimes I wonder if any of us really can imagine just how bad things could be.

Are we really preparing for the right situation? Just how bad could it be? Are we talking about an economic depression, world war, terrorist acts, civil anarchy? Do each of us have the guts to make what could be very heartless decisions to ensure OUR families are protected? Do we have the guts to tell someone "no, I have nothing to share with you, move along" and take appropriate action?

Sometimes I fantasize, wishing that I had the ability to build a fortress compound with M-60s on the roof, concertina wire blocking all avenues of approach, three functional artesian wells, 40 acres of great farm land, and enough storage to get me by until I was totally self sufficent. As in growing my own vegetables and fruits, having a herd of cows, chicken coops and whatever else I could think of.

Anyway, I don't think I have enough time to prepare for all of this. I am thinking that time is against me, the more I try to accomplish, the more I worry about the next thing I should be worrying about. Should I learn how to do the Ham Radio thing? Could be useful, not sure I would even know where to buy the radio.

Sorry for the rant.

Preparedwarrior said...

Cliff: a week? Wow!! I hope everything goes well for you.

Hey, I learned a new word today. Copy canning. Great word for what I have been doing but didn't know what it was called. I thought I was just budget busting again.

Shy Wolf said...

Warrior: interesting you shuld ask about the 'spousal unit' not wanting to be a prepper. I read an article (don't remember who wrote it) about many wives not being concerned with the prepping side of survival in which the focal point was that wives tend to expect the hunny to do the care-taking for the family. The wives were 'content' to have the babies, prepare the meals and care for the house, but when it comes to survival issues, the hubby is the 'warrior' and provider- "his responsibility, don't bother 'me' with it until I need to know" type of thing. Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. But then, if I knew anything about women, I'd have one.
God bless, Shy

Preparedwarrior said...

Shy wolf: If the SHTF, in whatever situation, I think there some women who are in for a very rude awakening. And they need to do some research on what life was like for women in the pioneer days.

Yep, women will be birthing the babies, keeping the fires going, cooking and being the provider of care. But they will likely be managing a kitchen garden, cleaning, gutting and preparing whatever the men will be bringing in for cooking. And I mean whatever is brought in.

If the grid goes down and there is no electricity or natural gas, who do they think will be keeping the home fires going?

I'm thinking that there might be a need to know how to gather, card and spin to make clothes...by hand?

There will be no free ride for anyone if it gets really bad. Even the children will have a role to play.

Talk to the old ones who survived the depression. There are some interesting YouTube videos about just this topic.

I don't think women as a whole have any idea what a full grid down situation would require in order to survive.

Anonymous said...

PreparedWarrior:

I didn't realize you were in my home state, but I am glad to know that there are others.

I really enjoy your blog, although I only recently found out about it. Lots of good information and presented in a no-nonsense manner.

Thanks,
Faol

Staying Alive said...

You say you aren't running a restaurant? What the hell do you think you will be doing when the SHTF? I think it will hit us financially before the first of next year. And what will you be doing then but cooking and surviving with your friends and loved ones.

I noticed your mention of the amount of coffee you have stored and awaiting your need. Good planning. And while you might have to drink juices out of a can instead of fresh squeezed goodies, be thankful if you have the canned stuff.

Checking your plans out with the older generation is a very smart move. I had the benefit of having parents and grandparents who went through the Depression and I heard a lot of stories. My Dad went riding the rails and hitchhiking looking for work at a rate of a dollar a day if he could get it. Up and down the state of Indiana for a week at a time. Hard times.

If you haven't noticed, this SHTF is going to be primarily a financial fiasco, at least until someone gets something worse going. You will need food and land tax money to survive, along with the ability to pay your electric bill. The more food you store now the less you will have to buy later. I have two primo deer hunters who will keep me in protein in exchange for other foods. No problem. I will be getting more non-hybrid seed this Fall and can grow food.

I am looking for a wood stove donation to my life in order to keep the electricity bill down. It will also keep water pipes from freezing. I was reading a guy earlier this week who said that woodstove prices haven't changed much in the last 30 years. I don't know but I know I need one. I have a brand new single bit axe and two bow saws ready for firewood production.

The problems we face are those we get from a class of people who care very little for us and will not do much to help us. Don't consider them to be a big help in the hard times. Labor camps is about the best they will do for you. They will take your picture, get your personal data and give you a number. Then you go to work on growing their and your food. You will be a field worker in the first generation of slaves being established in this country.

Ugly diagnosis? Yep. But if you have your preps and can grow your own food you might escape the slave camps. You might have a few firearms to ward off freebooters and other criminal elements.

Good luck. I don't think we have long to wait to see if our strategy is going to work.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Your rant is understandable. We all face the same uncertanty. And uncertanty is what drives most of us crazy. Your right and your right.

As for the ability to build a large compound. Well very few could accomplish such things on their own. My recommendation to you is to realize you are not alone. Pooling your resources first within your family, then within your group of friends, and later with others of like mind whom you can trust will be important.

I focus on food as regardless of who I join forces with I must be capable of feeding myself. Then I must think about what else I might be capable of bringing to the table.

You have medical and military skills. More valuable then you might think. I have many skills in the modern world, not as many for a post modern world. I am working on better skills for a SHTF world. Farming, food preservation, water purification, etc are but some I am dilligently working on.

Bottom line. Align yourself with those who can help fill your SHTF portfolio of skills and preps. Even in a SHTF world we will still need to work together as humans to survive. Never lose track of that reality. The larger your bag of human resources the better your chance of surviving just about anything that might come our way.

But you are on the right track. Keep your head up.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Just found your journal for emergency prepardness. Thanks for all the great information. I've posted your blog on my own at http://fillingyourark.blogspot.com

Good luck with your goals.

irishdutchuncle said...

non preparedness minded spouses, male or female, are a frequent theme on the survival oriented blogs. (holly deyo, james rawles, and rangerman to name three bloggers who have discussed it).

ham radio is something you should study for a while before you spend any money on equipment. "ham fests" are good places to look if you're interested. you can face to face with the hams and get your questions answered. you'll need to pass a test for each license class. you no longer need to pass a code test, however. the "ARRL" has a website, they are the major ham organization in the U.S.

Mayberry said...

My wife doesn't want to hear a word of it. And her idea of prepping for Ike was to buy a case of bottled water, some crackers, and chips....