Thursday, December 18, 2008

Friendly note

I was truly shocked when I received a little notice from my USAA Mastercard people telling me that, although it was no reflection on my credit standing, my APR was going to be raised from 4% to 6%.  That sort of got my attention.  If a card with major company of  the highest of standings is taking this step, then G-d help the evil demon credit card companies out Deleware.

I had heard on the local consumer advocate radio show hosted by Clark Howard that credit card companies are going to be up to tricks.  Changing due dates, giving shorter periods in which to pay the balance or incur interest, AND increasing APR up to the rate of 50%.  All without giving anyone advance notice.  This man is never wrong.  I mean, never.  If he says it, it is fact.  I never have carried a balance, but I sure will be looking closer to due dates.

Clark Howard also says the county tax assessors/commisioners may be up to trick too.  All in order to increase revenue.  You see, the tax people send you a note that reflects what is supposed to be paid by the mortgage company.  So you sit there all fat, dumb and happy thinking that the mortgage company has paid the bill.  The problem is that the mortgage company was never given the tax assessment bill, and therefore never paid the bill out of the escrow account.  Ah, so!!  The story isn't over yet.

Then because the tax payment is late, YOU get to pay a hefty late fee.  Voila, several hundreds of dollars in unanticipated extra revenue for the county.  But there is still more to be learned from this story.

Say you are getting ready to take advantage of the housing market, and are getting ready to sign for that great deal of a home.  Guess what???  Just what if that foreclosed home you are buying is in arrears in taxes.  The sale of  your new home can have the previous owner's tax debt and late fee added to your new house sale.  Just a thought.  Might be useful if thinking about picking up some good real estate deals.

Hear tell my local boys and girls in cars with blue lights are also getting really picky about proper stopping techniques, seat belt application, and by the way is that car insured?  Wonder if this is another way to generate some cash flow.  But then I never did trust people who set up speed traps.  One of our nearby townships was nationally recognized for inceasing city revenue with speed traps.

I know this is not really related to emergency preparedness.  But anything that comes between me and my money could become an emergency.  So, I guess it relates.

After much consideration and input from readers, I have put the katadyne water filter at the top of my purchase list.  I know water is the most important survival tool.  I think I was perhaps in denial, thinking that water would be always available.  Stupid, I know.  I will fix this deficiency this weekend.

Anybody know anything about growing rice?  Got the potatoes by growing in containers.  Just thinks rice would be a great item to grow.  Is it possible to grow wheat?  I have enough wheat saved, I just want to be able to grow my own.

I am turning into a farmer!!  Its a good thing I don't my getting my hand dirty.

Still have two other projects that are in the brewing (not literally) stage.


2 comments:

HermitJim said...

Good points made on your post. We can see the trouble brewing all around us if we take the time to look and see. Too many people still facing the facts daily, but are not understanding or are in denial.

I feel sorry for folks like my Mother who is slowly starting to see the global picture...and is scared. Suddenly I'm not nearly as radical as she thought.

Anonymous said...

Not sure about rice. But wheat will grow here. But it is a lot of work for very little. Nothing if you can afford a combine and a hundred acres. But a small raised bed probably not worth your time.

Unless you have a lot of acerage and a thresher focus on corn and potatos. Peanuts also grow real well down here..

Chris