Monday, December 15, 2008

Thanks for the comments!!!!

Molly:  I went to your site and found your “how to” section.  The concept of wicking really appeals to me because Georgia has had a drought for the past two years.  No  indication this will change anytime soon.  We are planning to incorporate the wicking when we build our raised gardens next week.  I hope the Home Owner Association doesn’t get twitchy over this.

Bruce:  I have made purchases through that company.  Good service too.  I worry about not having enough protein in my preps.  Have even thought about raising a couple of chickens or maybe have a Talapia (mmmmm) pond.  Growing Talapia can easily be incorporated into the hydroponics process.

Solar cooker at Cantina West:  Totally fascinated with the concept of solar cooking.  I am doing some comparison shopping on line.  Won’t catch me anywhere near a store at this time of year.  Any recommendations about an off-the-shelf model?

Chris:  Hey how are your preps going?  Water is always on my mind.  Well, that and food of course.  I have to have a really good water filter that filters out the crap like cryptosporidium (sp?).  Very deadly for me.  I have access to water of all types, clean and creepy stuff.  So far, the Katadyne looks to be the best one for my needs.

 Rebecca:  Thanks for being impressed with my preps. I am continually worrying about all of the stuff I might not be worrying enough about.  Does that make sense?  Sort of an ignorance is bliss thing.  I keep thinking I am missing out some key piece of prepping.

 I would really like to hear about what everyone else is struggling with or working on right now.  Maybe I will be inspired with some new areas that need my attention.

The faster I go, the behinder I feel I am getting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

psssst, you can also find how to build your own solar cooker under my How to Section lol

Anonymous said...

My preps are going great. I have the Katadyne drip and its very good. I also have a bunch of Calcium Hypochlorite to aid in purification. Depending on your water source I would recommend the Calcium Hypochlorite. It has a long shelf life compared to chlorine. Use it on all surface water sources prior to filtration.

Right now I am working on medical supplies. I have weapons, lighting, power, and food licked, as well as food sustainment. I'll add more on the energy/power side after I build up my med tools.

Trying to find a good place to learn to do suitures. I think I have it down but I'd like a qualified opinion if you know what I mean.

Chris

Solar Cooker at Cantinawest said...

Greetings again,
I agree with Molly, you can build your own solar cooker, and in fact if you are meticulous and like to work with tools etc. you can build a very quality home made solar cooker.

I have built some of my own, albeit not the best of quality when I was finished, but they performed very well for that time of the year.

I will admit I have always been more partial to the professionally built, high quality, manufactured ovens, in fact I own four solar cookers, because I want something that will last me for a long time.

The cookers I promote on my site are some of my favorites, but there are many good solar ovens available and I intend to add at least one or two more cookers , more than likely Parabolics, to the line I promote.

I am not quite sure what you mean when you asked about "off-the-shelf" solar cookers.

I can say though, that the majority offered online are the four to five biggest and the most well know brands, therefore they are the ones you will see most often when you do an online search, and most all of "us" (sellers) offer them at around about the same general price when you include shipping and such.

If I might venture a question to those who may read your blog.

Is there anyone who knows of someone that teaches Solar Cooking in your area, and if so, do you think they might be interested in submitting their information to our "solar cooking class locator" page solar cooking classes

Nathan