Saturday, January 3, 2009

Medical stuff

As can be seen from my profile I am in the healthcare industry.  BUT preparations for medical emergencies is one area that I am lacking, primarily because I was playing catch-up in food and water storage.  I am in the process of putting together a medical bag.  My bag will also have a guide for managment of injuries and events that could be encountered when there is a lack of quick medical assistance.

Many preparedness blogs have discussed the potential need for suturing wounds.  I agree this is something that we might have to contend with in the future, not knowing what medical facilities will be available and potential extent of an injury.

I am not talking about suturing deep tissue wounds or those types of facial wounds that require a plastic surgeon's touch.   We are likely to encounter knife lacerations, cuts from tin cans, and the sort of skin tears from tree branches.  

So that being said, I am starting with the art of suturing.  Not intending to re-invent the wheel, I have found a great Adobe file on how to do basic suturing.  This file includes detailed photos of equipment needed, how-to pictures, and then written instructions.  Credit to those mentioned on the first page of the PDF file!!!

My plan is to develop a guide book that will address emergencies we may encounter in the toughest and most extreme conditions.  One area that concerns me most is having an outsider come into my zone who is carrying some contagious illness or infection and may infect my family.  Just how should any of us approach sorting out potentially sick new comers (family or outsiders) who may come into our zone of influence.  I am worse casing this, but I see on a daily basis how the flu has spread.  

Other areas I am thinking about include:  labor and childbirth, and injuries that we currently take to the ER.  Would appreciate input for areas of particular concern.

I know there are preppers out there who are experts in herbs and other natural products.  How about some input for problems like nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, burns (beside aloe), natural pain relievers, etc.  Would love to include these in a guide for all of us.

Anyway, if you are interested you can e-mail me at preparedwarrior@yahoo.com, and I will forward the PDF file on how to do basic suturing.  This is a new email account, so if there is a problem, let me know by comment.

I would have put the PDF file as a link, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

While I am on medical stuff, make sure your immunizations are up to date.  One of the most important is your Tetnus vaccination.  This injection is good only for 7 to 10 years, and the experts can't seem to agree on just how long.  But if you can't remember your last one or it is been awhile, get one and it might save your life.

8 comments:

HermitJim said...

Seems like a lot of us are thinking along the same lines today. My nephew and I were just discussing this very issue!

A guide like the one you envision would be a great help to folks like me with very little knowledge past the bandaid stage.

Good post!

Bullseye said...

GREAT POST !! Too many overlook the need to be prepared when loved ones or themselfs get hurt. When it hits the fan Hospitals will be out of the question. We all need to be more informed on how to take care of our own needs when things go wrong. I guess what I'm say is don't forget the 3 B's when gathering preps. Bean, Bullets and BANDAIDS !!

Ken said...

...i kept up with my CPR certs along time,at one point had,infant,juvenile and adult,took my EMT training/certs that expired in '91' or '92'(starting family,didn't want to take any chances)...i would definately be interested in some additional(fine tuning)material

...as a P.S. thanx for the visit and kind words...now yer on 'my list'...lol

irishdutchuncle said...

there was some discussion about making your own "isolation ward" for flu, over at the "alpha rubicon" guys website. they claim to have tested the things they write about, it may be worth a look. they're in a different league as preppers go.

Preparedwarrior said...

Irishdutchuncle: thanks for pointing me to that site. Having a flu quarantine/isolation area is a good thought. I was thinking too about knowing if someone coming to my sphere had staph infection, lice, scabies etc. Sorry, for the disgusting topic but I see this pretty often these days. All of these can spread quickly to your family and friends.

Patricia said...

Great post, and thank you. We've got a medical kit started, but we'll always need more. A book or guide on medical info would be a great thing to have. On flu and what to do, survivallady has put some thought into it:

http://survivallady.com/?cat=29

HM

irishdutchuncle said...

you're welcome. i'd try to help anyone i can also, but the safety of your own household has to come first.

THE CAVALCADEMASTER said...

I HAVE ENJOYED YOUR BLOG, THANKS FOR YOUR WORK AND THE FACT YOU ARE SHARING YOUR KNOWDLEDGE.ITS GREAT TO READ AND LEARN FROM OTHERS, PLEASE KEEP POSTING :THE CADERIDER