Saturday, January 31, 2009

Somebody's Been Shopping

And it isn't just me.  I have been adding more preps, and I am seeing a lot of changes.

First of all, I noticed that ammunition of all types is getting scanty, and then there is the matter of a very obvious depletion in shotguns and rifles.  Several places are just out and can't even begin to say when more weapons will be available.  I got mine, I was cruising and being nosey.  And those that have recently been bought are the high end kind from the looks of the shelves.

Also noticed that ChinaMart is catering to the needs of a different clientle.  I saw a lot of different stuff on the shelves today.  I saw bigger bag of both beans and rice, and these were going quickly too.  Saw a lot of consumables like tortillas, corn meal mix, tuna and spam going into carts.  Not sure if this is people having to downsize their lifestyles or there is prepping going on.  Will they be able to cook from scratch?  

I also found a lot of dried bean products that I don't usually find, like great northern bean.

Hermit:  I found my food slicer and it works like a charm.  I have sliced and dehydrated a bag of Florida oranges, and several bunches of bananas.  Tomorrow I will be taking advantage of a $10 for 10 containers of mushrooms and will be dehydrating these.

My next plan is to dehydrate some potatoes as a practice run so I will be able to quickly get operations set up to harvest potatoes, blanche them, and then dehydrate them.  

My dehydrating operations lets me use my new slicer, dehydrator AND foodsaver do-hicky, and then I can fill mylar and seal them too.  Oh, yeah, I to use those nifty O2 absorbers.

Bought a bunch of ammo for rifle and shot gun.  I think I have plenty for my air rifle too.  I need to seriously get out and shoot that darn thing.

So, I need some input here.  Just how do you know that ya have enough of everything?

For crying out loud.  I have more coffee already, but how long is that going to last.  I have computed what we use during non-stressful times but is this enough?  Ditto for food, just how do you know how much to have.  

I have put away tons of fabric for future sewing needs, and that includes needles and threads.  I have enough soap, T paper.

What are other people's priorities?

I am working on some things that will at least make my life civil.  I am making a quilt for the master bedroom, just in case it does really get cold.  I have got patterns to make uni-sex pajamas.

I have made bulk taco and chili seasoning so I don't need to rely on packed store bought and expensive teeny wheeny  expensive packaging.  I buy bulk wheat, yeast, beans, and canned meats as back up.  My extra store in the freezer could get me by for at least 3-6 months.  We make our own bread

I sense a feeling of guilt from some preppers who had tried to convince family and friends to get on board with prepping.  I say you can't the be the all end all for everyone.

What ever is going to happen, I just wish the hell we get on with it.  Is it going to be any less if we delay a recession/Depression, let's just get on with it.

The garden is nearly up and running.  I will be canning tomatoes from the hydroponics garden in a couple of weeks.  The Romas and Watermelon Beef Steak, Tim Tom cherry tomatoes.  Romas will be for tomato sauce and paste.   Beef Steak will be for canning and salads.  Cherry tomatoes will be just for salads.

Da Da!!  I have officially come into the 21st Century.  I have gotten involved with solar energy.  Bought a small set up that can run a few lights, lap tops, recharge cell phone batteries, and even run a refrigerator on a limited basis.  It wasn't my plan to run a whole house on solar.  I wanted to learn more about the process and at the same time be flexible enough that I could gradually expand to have needed power for an emergency.

Both the garden and the solar panels are sure to tick of the HOA.  This will be a major opportunity to see if I can't get my neighbors into thinking about growing their own food, if for nothing more than safety and health reasons.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

For me personally, I have a years worth and counting. That's for things that have a years shelf life.

Things like grains I aim for longer, as I do with equipment for inside and outside the house.

Remember to have a great seed storage too, with all that, there is no reason why we cant survive and do it reasonably well.

I also have included in storage some barter items too, perfumes, vodka, candles etc, things you find in the great depression made for great bartering tools.

HermitJim said...

Looks like you are doing all the good, my friend! In my opinion, preps are like hugs! Can't ever have enough!

Glad that slicer is working out...especially with the garden coming in soon!

Hell, I may have to barter with ya for soe of those tomatoes...

Anonymous said...

where did you acquire your solar setup, and how much investment did it require? also, i can't find a way to follow your page,,,good info here..thanks

Trini Airguns said...

Sounds like your preps are going really well. An old non-electric clothes iron that you can heat by placing on a stove may be of use if during a grid-down situation you'd still like the family to look 'spiffy' for church or other social occasions.

You could probably shoot your air rifle right in your backyard, depending on where you live and how far the nearest neigbours are. What make and model do you have?

I still visit your blog as often as you post, and I still have a link to your blog on mine, but alas I see no a reciprocal link... LOL.

-Prepping and shooting in the Caribbean

Anonymous said...

How much of stuff you need to store is dependant on what you see happening.

Me personally, I see a major economic down turn equal to or worse than the great depression. There will be periods of scarcity for all things and periods when they are available if you have the money. It is likely that as time goes by barter will become more and more common. Maybe replacing money altogether.

So my recommendation is that you have the skills to provide things to keep your costs down and to give you a means of trade. Your medical knowledge should be good to go there but you might learn how to make your own soap for example.

You also should be able to provide at least 50% of your food with sufficient storage food to survive spot scarcity of at least 3 months probably more. Certain foods will be more scarce then others. For example fresh fruit and vegetables will probably be hard to find where frozen and or canned will be plentiful. Milk/eggs/meat will be harder to find then vegetables and fruit.

The one thats the hardest to deal with is energy. It is highly likely that we will all be doing with a lot less in this category. Having your solar pannels you are probably getting an idea of exactly the scale I speak of. Your on the right track. Prioritize your energy usage. Your Freezer/Fridge is a high priority. Dish washer not so much. Attempt to understand how you might get by day to day without the things that require energy. Central heat as an example, dish washers, clothes washers, hot water heaters, stoves, ovens, microwaves, etc, etc.. Figure out what you can power and what you'll have to do without and figure out how you can improvise. But be prepared for our power grid to be up and down like in Iraq. Expect gas/electricity to become much more expensive.

Have you thought about transportation? Don't neglect it.

Staying Alive said...

Concerning those who live within close proximity of you: Are you a neighbor or a Turkey Sandwich? Will they take your hard won preps as their own or will they just lay down and mummifie when the error of their ways hits them in the brain? It's your neighbors that will git ya'! Be very careful.

Michael

Preparedwarrior said...

Molly: I am working on the barter items and I am going for food seasonings, candles, small can openers and the like.

Hermit: the slicer worked well. The house smells like a combination of oranges, bananas and mushrooms.

Erik: I bought solar collector panels from Northern Tool, both an inverter and controller from Amazon, and a marine battery from ChinaMart. My investment was way lower than 2K. The real cost will be in developing a scheme to be able to properly install the darn things without subjecting them to vandalism or out right sabotage. Also, as I add panels and batteries the price will go up. I am certainly no wire head and I did have to learn about how this stuff works. I have to say that I never thought I would have to know anything about solar power. But the more I know, the less intimidating it is.
Trini: Either I am really stupid or I just flat out can't read instructions. I continue to have problems linking to blogs.
Chris: I expect the worse. That is my biggest problem because I keep buying for storage. I have more than a year's storage, have both hydroponic and outside gardens,and have plenty of good seeds. If I can do the chickens for eggs I will feel a lot better about having sufficient protein.
Michael: I have thought long and hard about my neighbors. First of all, I am older than my neighbors. There is a ton of inexperience with these people mixed with a lot of good ole boy down home southerner. Some are good with tools as in carpenters, and others are bankers. A couple are media personalities, and a couple are retired. Some are likely to high tail it to their mamas, while others I imagine will do quite well. None of them are likely to interfere with me and mine. But thanks for reminding me that if they aren't in the prepping mode now, then they will be part of the problem in the future. However, I do believe my greatest concern will be for those who will be traveling in a large rolling horde.

Staying Alive said...

You used the term "me and mine". Does this mean you have others with you? The more the merrier if you can feed every one! But keep your powder dry no matter what comes down the pike. If it comes down to other folks eating or starving, take my word for it: They will eat.

Michael

Anonymous said...

I agree with Michael on this one. You have FAR MORE to worry about from your neighbors then you do from hoards. And its not just the neighbors on your street but all of those within walking distance.

How they are in the good times is no indication of how they'll be when things get desperate.

Preparedwarrior said...

Michael and Chris: thanks for the comments.

Trust me on this. I do not trust my neighbors any further than I can throw them. I am operating under no illusions, they ARE dangerous.

Yes, there are others with me. I have good OPSEC (actually worked in this area), am pretty well armed, trust NO ONE, and deal with the lowest low life on a daily basis. I know who my enemies are now, and who the additional ones will be in the future.

Again thanks for the advice

Freedom said...

When SHTF its family & neighbors we fear the most.

Family because some know what we are doing and the neighbors because they see the bags we bring into the house.

So the only way out of this problem is to relocate to Gods Country. We are in the process of getting our little pcs of land & going off the grid. Don't get me wrong I don't mind sharing if I know someone has put some effort into putting food away. But when you know that they can't even pick up 3 bags of beans per week at a cost of $1.25 a bag, why would I want to open my door. My husband & I have worked very hard to get here & have done without. I see no benefit having family or neighbors eating our food & bring nothing to the table (food, guns, ammo, etc.).

This is a new way of life we are heading for and you should bring something to the table not just empty hands.

We do believe the more people you have the better it will be when it comes to protecting your home & supplies. Having others with you is a good thing as long as your on the same page & they have just as much to lose as you. One large plus in having extra people you can rotate watch duty on the property another thing more hands in the garden & taking care of the chickens.

We have not yet found anyone on the same page but we will keep looking. :)

Anonymous said...

"How do you know when you're done prepping?"

Well, I figure that you should get the basics covered. Plenty of food. Water supplies (containers, purification, means of collection.) First aid supplies. Sanitation. Personal toiletries. Electricity. Transportation. Firearms, ammo, and the will to use them. Barter goods.

After that, you have to trust in God! After all your hard work, it could all be gone in a second. The sparrows do not sow, reap, or gather into barns, yet the Heavenly Father feeds them. This is not to say "don't prepare," but that ultimately, God will provide for what we really need.

3rdman said...

First time to check out your Blog. Looks pretty intresting so far. Good luck on the blog


http://3rdman-peacekeeper.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

There are many components to the ammo shortages we have been experiencing:

- Ammo is being held up at customs, even though it's already been paid for
- Manufacturing is at full capacity
- Russia & China are buying up necessary components
- We are at war, so we're using up necessary components
- Police forces are becoming more militarized and get first dibs on purchasing
- Universities are starting their own tast forces and buying up ammo
- BATF aren't renewing a bunch of licenses so ammo manufacturing resources are down.

Way to go in harnessing solar power in preparation for a time when electricity may be unavailable. I'm loving my solar oven. http://tinyurl.com/cckxmb

Anonymous said...

Count all your loved ones who may come to your house in an extremity. (Friends, family and neighbors, including those who are prepped, but disaster may destroy their storage) now you know how many you may need to prepare for.
What? This is everyone you know? Ah geesh! Does this mean you have to prepp for Everybody? You'd never be done!
Yep. Plan on a clan. Everyone you love and everyone they may love will need the foresighted. There is no stopping point.